Well I made it, a few days late but I am okay with that. I hope you are too. My new computer finally arrived and I was quick to get it set up. I have really missed the creative outlet of image processing and the writing that follows. It feels so good to be back at it.
So, this week, I wanted to try to make an image that looked old and dramatic. I started with the wide-angle crop and went from there.
- Started with the original file in Lightroom and found a wide-angle crop that I liked
- I used the infrared preset which gave a good start to the old-time feel I was going for
- I played with the basic settings as well as the tonal curve until I liked what I saw
- Then I added a radial filter to the building to lower the clarity, it was looking to new still
- I added another radial filter to the middle of the image bringing a shadowed effect to the edges
- At this point I liked it but felt like the building was still too “new” looking, it was out-of-place in the image. I tried cropping it out but felt like it wasn’t a good look. I was feeling stumped so I went to bed.
- I woke up this morning and downloaded FotoSketcher and within a couple clicks I knew it was done.
- In FotoSketcher I chose the vintage effect. I played with the settings for that effect and was done.
This month has challenged me since I have never worked out a version until the day before I posted. And, all my computer troubles have added to the mix as well. But, I am really happy with these versions and have enjoyed this photograph probably more than any I have worked on so far.
We are taking the month of August off from this challenge, I may post a few of my favorites from past months depending on how the end of our summer shapes up. If you have been on the fence about joining this challenge now is your chance. We start-up the first Monday of September. Please go to Robyn’s blog, Captivate Me HERE to see everyone’s final versions of this month. There are some incredible edits out there. Or you can find us with the tag, “One Four Challenge”.
Of course I always appreciate your opinion and support with this challenge. If you have a favorite for this month please let me know in the comments below.