Anther month turning over on the calendar means another photograph to learn from. I decided to challenge myself this month with this macro image. It is of an Ice Plant which grows all along the shoreline here. I have seen the blossoms in purple and yellows. This is a very aggressive plant that is not native to this area.
I should also note, for those of you following along last month, the winner of the poll was a tie! Between week 2 and week 4. Thank you to all of you who took the time to vote, I really appreciate it.
For the first edit, I chose to enhance the image by highlighting the colors, especially in the center.
- Starting with the original image I chose the preset “yesteryear” in LR5
- I adjusted the settings like, tint, warmth, highlights, shadows, etc.. to start and then again at the end.
- For the saturation adjustments I used the individual color adjustment bars, mostly working with red, orange and yellow.
- I added a radial filter to the central part of the flower, inverted the filter and adjusted accordingly. I was trying to give the petals a softer feel and the center a more pronounced feel so they didn’t get lost in the photograph.
- I wasn’t totally satisfied with the results at this point, so I used the adjustment brush and brushed a wide circle around the central part of the flower. I played with the settings until I was satisfied with the detail, shadow, colors it brought out.
And that is how I found my way to this edit this week. I would love to hear your feedback, suggestions and/or comments.
If you are interested in joining in, it is never too late to join. See Robyn’s post this week at Captivate Me, for all the details of how to get started. If you look in her comments you will find other entries as well. Or you can go to your tag search and type in “One Four Challenge” to find everyone’s entries. This challenge has taught me so much already. I am looking forward to going through the process again this month.