Here we are, week 2 of this month’s challenge. I really appreciated the feedback I received from last week. One comment offered the idea of using the ND Filter tool in Lightroom and another suggested bringing out the reeds and grasses in the foreground. As most of you are aware, I am totally new to Lightroom and its tools. So, while I understood what the suggestions where (after some web research) I had no idea how to make them happen.
I was eagerly set on learning both types of edits. Lucky for me, the youtube video I found offering suggestions and tips for how to use the ND Filter tool also gave a tutorial on the Adjustment Brush tool. I have never used either of these features in Lightroom, but I really like the results.
The moment I unleashed the ND Filter tool I thought to myself, oh this is dangerous. I love dynamic skies, and this tool really opens up a whole new world for me. Especially since I feel limited by my camera’s capabilities.
Mackerricher State Park, Fort Bragg CA
The adjustment brush tool was more challenging, this was a rather time-consuming project this week. Once I started working on this image I realized how challenging this image is. There are so many factors playing into the image, you alter one aspect of it and have to bring everything else in the image along too. I guess, it is better to go into a challenge like this blindly, then there is no turning back. I hope I don’t sound like I am complaining, I am far from complaining. This week was mind-blowing for me, and very creatively satisfying.
- Adjustment brush, brushed the foreground and adjusted settings to keep things looking realistic
- ND filter, turned diagonal and adjusted settings. I ended up with another one directly in the middle helping bring out the trees details, especially the lower grasses at the base of the trees.
- One radial filter on the water helping reflecting the sunrise.
- Overall tweaking and settling of image. There was a lot of this!
I am being short with the details so as not to overwhelm you. There was a lot of tweaking involved and the adjustment brush went a little wild at one point. I tried to fix it and then decided to start over. So, my edits are not very clear to me. I do know that I learned so much and I am really grateful for the suggestions from last week. It has really jump started me into a direction I am really excited about. Looking forward to sharing next weeks version already.
So, now it’s your turn, please let me know what you think. I am looking forward to seeing what others have done with their images as well. Thanks again to Robyn and the participants in this challenge for the extra push, I am having a lot of fun.
**You can find everyone’s entries HERE, they are always listed in the comments section. Or you can search “One Four Challenge” in the tags of WordPress too.